Job Vacancy – Rural Youth Europe Interim Secretary General
Rural Youth Europe is recruiting an interim Secretary General for the duration of 6 months with the opportunity of extension. The office is based in Helsinki, Finland. Part of the work can be done remotely and does not require daily commuting to the office although regular travel to the office might be required. The Interim Secretary General is responsible for the daily running of Rural Youth Europe and reports to the Chairperson and board of RYEurope.
Rural Youth Europe is a European Non-Governmental Organisation for Rural Youth, an umbrella organisation for 23 organisations from 16 European countries. Our main focus is organising international events for multipliers in rural youth work. RYEurope works to enhance the lives of rural young people through providing intercultural learning opportunities which encourage advocacy and respect for others. We have a board comprised of seven rural youth leaders from around Europe, and currently two part-time employees.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Working together with the Board
- Managing finances (including but not limited to; monthly reporting to the board, annual accounts, internal and external audits, co-operation with accountant as required)
- European and National Funding applications and reporting in co-operation with office staff, the board, member and partner organisations
- Managing a number of staff including part-time employees and freelancers
- Prepare, organise, implement and follow-up European seminars, meetings, study sessions and exchanges virtually and in person in co-operation with hosting organisations
- Responsible for day to day running of the secretariat
- Communication internally and externally e.g. with member organisations, partners, European Institutions
- Representative of Rural Youth Europe in various networks
- Assisting facilitation of webinars and physical workshops at events where required
- Experience in international youth work/NGO work
- Experience in managing finances of an international organisation
- Experience in managing staff
- Experience in funding applications and reporting
- Experience in project management
- Very good knowledge of English (both written and oral)
- Computer literate (including experience of Microsoft Office365)
- Experience of working with an internationally dispersed team
- Flexibility and willingness to travel and work occasionally during weekends and evenings
- Knowledge of rural youth work and/or rural issues
- Knowledge and experience of non-formal education
- Knowledge of governance and policy
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Able to work independently and as part of an international team
- Willingness to support and work with a team of volunteers and employees
- Self-driven, sense of responsibility, good organisational skills
The ideal candidate will have excellent time management and organisational skills, able to work under pressure and willing to work with rural youth, volunteers, staff and experts from across Europe. You will be committed, motivated, driven and passionate about rural issues, intercultural exchange and non-formal education. You are able to communicate with grass root members as well as European institutions. You will have the ability to prioritise tasks, meet deadlines and delegate effectively. You will have a great understanding of accounts at all times and ensure the activities of Rural Youth Europe are in line with the annual budget.
- Good knowledge of Finnish and/or Swedish (written and oral)
- Other languages are an asset
- Knowledge of Mac OS and online tools e.g. Dropbox, Miro, Zoom
- Knowledge of Procountor bookkeeping software
- Experience of facilitating webinars and physical workshops at events
- A challenging yet rewarding role with extensive responsibility in a unique international environment.
- An initial 6 month contract with the possibility of extension
- Contract of 37,5 hours per week and a salary of approximately EUR 2300 (to be negotiated as part of the selection process based on experience – please send us your expected salary)
- Flexible working environment (home office, flexible working hours in accordance with the needs of the organisation).
Applicants are asked to send a CV and motivation letter addressing the selection criteria by 10th December 2021 to email@example.com. Any further questions can be sent to the same address.
Your application should also indicate your available starting date.
Selected applicants will be called to interview. We reserve to close the call earlier if we find the right person for the post.